You can rent a bare metal server and pay by the hour. This is a cheap alternative to monthly hosting if you only want to use the server for one release.
This guide will cover how to set up and access a Softlayer server. For a list of recommended server providers, click here.
Softlayer is great because you can rent Bare Metal servers. This gives you more freedom + computing power.
1. Click this link to view the Bare Metal hourly servers offered by Softlayer. Find a server you want and select “buy now”. Below are some recommended packages.
2. Select which data center location you want for your server.
3. Choose a Windows operating system under System Configuration.
4. You can leave the hard drives section as is.
5. Under Network Options, select the “1 GBPS Public & Private Network Uplinks” option.
6. This is what your configuration should look like when done. Under Host and Domain Names, enter “server1” for the Hostname and “softlayer.com” for the Domain. 7. Enter your payment information and complete your order. Softlayer can take up to 4 hours to provision your server. Make sure you deactivate the server once you are done using it.
8. Once the server is running you can access it. You need to download a remote desktop application in order to do this. The recommended application to use can be found here.
Once you have downloaded and installed Remote Desktop Application, click the “New” icon.
You need to enter a connection name, IP address, username, and password. The IP address, username, and password are available on your Softlayer dashboard. The connection name can be anything you want.
Once you have added the server to Remote Desktop Application you can double-click the server to access it. You can also right-click the server and select “Start”.
AGAIN: MAKE SURE YOU DEACTIVATE YOUR SERVER ONCE YOU ARE DONE USING IT! YOU WILL BE CHARGED HOURLY UNTIL YOU CANCEL THE SERVER!
If you are looking for a monthly server we offer quality servers at affordable pricing. Learn more here.